Have you thought about grilling tofu?
Well, let me tell you grilled tofu is absolutely delicious and tender! And I am sure you’ll want to include some low-fat and super tasty tofu steaks on your next BBQ.
Also, this is the perfect recipe to get your husbands involved. Aren’t they usually the ones in charge of all Barbecues? So why not this one?
Pay attention GRILL MASTERS: THIS ONE IS FOR YOU!
This simple recipe is perfect for when you actually have time to marinate something the night before and by the time you get home the next day, just get your husband in charge of the grilling whilst you leave some sweet potatoes roasting on a baking tray.
Just remember to oil up the grill a little bit to prevent the tofu steaks from sticking to the pan. This will also make the gorgeous grill lines on each piece – which will make them look like ‘real’ steak and will leave everyone quite convinced of the ‘meatiness’ and richness of these high-protein, healthy steaks.
You can also, serve the tofu steaks with this glorious carrot and cashew salad – have a look here. 🙂
(I hope this text hasn’t sounded too much like if we’re still in the 50’s – that was absolutely not my intention! Men and women are both equally skilled in the kitchen, and I actually believe that most of them are better cooks than some of us (giggles!) Just like my grandad…. He was just amazing in the kitchen and even used to take my grandma breakfast in bed… What a treasure! That was authentic ‘food made with love’ – How much I miss my dear Avô João…)
- 1 block firm tofu, very well drained
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Green salad or carrot salad
- - Drain tofu and remove as much liquid as possible.
- - Make 2 diagonal cuts across the block to form an X - making 4 triangles. Cut across each triangle across the middle to reduce the thickness. You should now have 8 triangles.
- - Mix the tofu marinade in a plastic re-sealable bag. Place triangles inside and refrigerate 24 hours up to 2 days (the longer you marinate them the better).
- - When ready, preheat BBQ to medium-high. Remove tofu steaks from marinade but don’t discard liquid. Put on grill for about 4 minutes per side, or until golden and crispy and immediately before serving drizzle the liquid from the marinade.
- - Serve with a green or carrot salad and roast sweet potatoes.
- The longer you can marinate the tofu, the better!