It’s getting colder and your bones crave warm things, specially hot and comforting soups.
Last night, I got home a little later and Mr Santos (aka “the husband”) was left in charge of the kitchen so that we didn’t have to wait for me and have a really late supper. Left him some instructions and he came up with the perfect winter soup – a beautiful hearty and tomato-y soup that made me really proud of him… This was purely a “labor of love”.
My bones crave warm savoury things in colder months, especially hot soups and stews and this soup is warm, brothy, rich from the tomato sauce and roasted tomatoes, and full of hearty and chunky vegetables like onion, courgettes, carrot and potatoes. White beans and kale add even more fibre and protein (and a buttery taste)…
You will not believe how simple it is. You will only need one pot. One simple pot! And basically just throw all the veggies in it with water, letting them simmer in low to medium heat and in less than an hour you have enough soup for a week.
Serve with some bread and enjoy…
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium sized carrots, sliced
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper + more to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil, oregano, thyme and garlic powder
- 5 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium sized courgettes, sliced
- 1 can roasted tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2.5 Lt veggie low-salt stock
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 handfuls of kale, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh basil leafs, chopped
- - Heat a large pot over medium heat and start prepping veggies.
- - Add 2 Tbsp. of oil, then add onion, garlic, carrot and stir. Season with salt, pepper and spices and stir again to coat.
- - Next add courgette, potatoes, tomatoes and tomato sauce and veggie stock. Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cover. Continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- - Then add beans, adjust seasonings, and stir. Continue in a lower heat to just a light simmer.
- - Cook for at least another 10 minutes and then add kale, stir and cover, cooking for another 5 minutes.
- - Adjust seasonings as needed.
- - Garnish with basil leafs.
- - Serve with rye bread and enjoy.
- Nutricional information - Calories: 220 Fat: 5.3g Saturated fat: .8g Carbohydrates: 34g Sugar: 9g Fiber: 7.3g Protein: 10g