Not every recipe will have to have an amazing story behind it.
Sometimes you just want something warm, rich and nutritious that takes less than a blink of an eye to do. So this is it – search no more!
This vegetables gratin is for those times when you crave something flavourful, low in fat but also easy to make. It’s a simple recipe that takes little time to prep and can be served as a starter, or as a main meal served with some basmati rice.
The rich creamy cashew sauce powered with nutritional yeast (that according to my sister last night, tastes exactly like “béchamel”) is just so yummy and rich that, you would never tell, that aside from B12, it is also charged with “complete protein,” is low in fat and is free of sugar and gluten, and contains iron.
So, who would say that something that tastes like the fatty béchamel sauce is also such a powerful source of so many good things and is even low in fat? Just perfect!
The days of feeling guilty after those dairy white sauces is over 🙂
Embrace the cashew cream and say goodbye to that stuffed feeling after those traditional cheesy dishes.
“Cashew cream a-ah
Saviour of the Universe
Cashew cream a-ah
It’ll save every one of us”
- - 6 medium courgettes, thinly sliced
- - 200 gr of mushrooms, thinly sliced
- For the Sauce
- - 1 cup/ 230ml water
- - 3/4 cup/255 gr raw cashews
- - 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- - 2 Tbsp nutricional yeast
- - 1 Tsp garlic powder
- - 1/2 Tsp onion powder
- - 1/4 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
- - Sea salt, as needed
- - 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- - 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- - Soak the cashews for at least 15 - 30 minutes in hot water (if boiled they will soak faster).
- - Then preheat the oven to 200'C.
- - Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- - Taste and adjust the salt to your liking.
- - In a bowl, coat the courgettes and the mushrooms with the obtained batter from the cashews.
- - Tile the veggies in a roasting tray and pour all the remaining batter/cream over them.
- - Bake for 20minutes in the oven.
- Serve with the suggested or other toppings.
- - Sprinkle with your favourite toppings or herbs and serve hot as a side or as starter.
- Serve with some bread 🙂