This was one of the first salads I made when I was changing to a plant based diet and said to myself – “what is all this talk about kale and lentils?!” At that point in time, I had never tried neither of them and was curious about all their nutritional benefits and taste. I actually thought to myself “What a strange combination of ingredients – kale, leeks, lentils…?!” but thanks to my health coach Claudia Fonseca, who meticulously created weekly plant-based meals for me, I decided to open my mind and give these ingredients a chance… It was the best thing I could have done… It was a wonderful surprise. It shows exactly how successful you can be in the kitchen when you go out of your comfort zone. Until today, this is one of my favourite salads and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to do the “switch” (as I like to call it – switch from a typical occidental diet to a healthier plant-based one).
This is such a simple salad with lentils, roasted leeks and beetroots, with that special tangy tahini-dressing to give it that Middle Eastern kick.
Seriously satisfying and so earthy and healthy.
The recipe I share with you today is a slightly adapted version of the Minimalistic Baker one… From my point of view, it is even better than the original one (pardon my modesty!)
- - 3 leeks sliced lengthwise
- - 2 beetroots, dried and cut into cubes
- - 2 Tbsp good olive oil
- - 1/4 Tsp each sea salt and pepper
- - 1/2 cup/ 170 gr green lentils, rinsed clean
- - 1 cup/ 240 ml low salt vegetable stock
- - 4 big handfuls of kale, spinach and mint
- - 1 Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- - 1 - 2 Tbsp of oregano or any Italian dried herbs (I tried with rosemary as well)
- Tahini dressing
- - 1/4 cup/ 60 gr of tahini (sesame seed paste)
- - half lemon, juiced
- - 2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- - 3 Tbsp good olive oil
- - Pinch sea salt and freshly ground back pepper
- - Preheat oven to 200'C and lightly grease a baking tray with some coconut oil or olive oil.
- - Once thoroughly rinsed, add green lentils and stock to a pan and bring to boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes uncovered, or until liquid is completely absorbed. Leave aside.
- - Add chopped leeks and cubed beets to the baking tray and drizzle with some more olive oil and season with herbs, salt and pepper, toss to coat and bake for 15 minutes until it perfumes your whole house.
- - While veggies and lentils are cooking, prepare dressing by adding all the ingredientes to mixing bowl and whisk to combine until a smooth paste is achieved. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- - Add kale to a large salad bowl, with a bit of olive oil and lemon (or lime juice) and massage with hands gently. For all other greens, skip this step.
- - Add all remaining greens, lentils and roasted vegetables to the salad bowl, combining them with the kale and and add tahini dressing.
- - Mix everything well and sprinkle with some more herbs and pumpkin seeds.
- Enjoy 🙂