Delicious and nourishing soup:
Winter warmer alert!
This soup is the perfect starter to a meal. It is full of flavours, nutritionally complete, nourishing, creamy and it has the title “comfort food” written all over it.
We have been making this soup at home for such a long time as it is one of our all-time favourites and even Alex makes it from time to time – to be honest he is actually the expert with this soup and this time, I have just added an extra ingredient to make it richer.
So, I was going to be away for a few days and needed to leave him some ready-made meals that he could just take from the fridge and warm up – Yes, I know. I am one of those women who actually still behaves like if she was still in the 50’s, prepping food for her husband and making everything easy for him… Yes… I know don’t judge me. But this actually works for us, and specially to me as I love cooking and love it even more when I am cooking for someone I care about. So, yes… I am that kind of wife. Plus I work full time in the city centre, as a finance manager (Boring! I know) and coming home at night and being able to do something I love this much is actually therapeutic. So don’t dare you take that away from me!! 😛
So back to the soup.
The basic recipe is essentially made with courgettes and mint that are a fabulous source of Vitamin C. But because I wanted to make richer and more complete meals that he could eat whilst I was away, I thought of adding some protein rich ingredients – such as soya beans and tofu (this is tottaly optional but I really wanted to try this new tofu variety from Taifun to give my soup some crunchiness and peppery flavours).
It turnout to be even more delicious than the original courgette soup recipe. So I couldn’t stop myself from sharing it with you. Plus, Alex keeps saying that this is one of our best recipes and that it should be in the blog. So here it is. Wait no more!
The best protein packed courgette, leek & tofu soup is:
- And so so easy to make.
- It is also so easy and it’s ready in just 20 minutes.
Ready to try the best soup in the world?
Check how easy it is in the recipe card below.
- 6 large courgettes
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
- 2 leeks
- 1 cup soya beans or green peas
- A handful of spinach
- 1 vegetable cube stock (I used the very low salt Kallo one)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes
- Freshy ground black pepper
- Bunch mint, chopped
- Feto, organic fermented tofu (I used the red pepper version from Taifun), optional
- Chopped mint
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot.
- Slice zucchini and leeks, then add to the pot.
- Add the soya beans or green peas.
- Add 1 tsp. chilli flakes, cumin salt and pepper and fry until cooked through.
- Add water and stock cube to cover vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetable are tender but not overcooked.
- Add the coconut milk and consequently the spinach.
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Carefully add the soup to food processor, together with a bunch of mint and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped mint, chilli flakes, some lime juice, a drizzle of olive oil and some grilled Bell Pepper Feto from Taifun (optional).
- The Bell Pepper Feto is tottaly optional but it will make this dish protein richer.