“Canja de galinha” is a delicious traditional Portuguese chicken soup – and I must confess, one I miss the most. I was glad I found another way (pretty similar to the original chicken recipe) that is made out of oyster mushrooms.
The original ‘canja’ is an extremely popular dish in every Portuguese home because it utilizes a bunch of healthy ingredients (that everyone loves) to make a really hearty and comforting soup. While you don’t need a special occasion to make this divine soup it is usually made whenever someone is sick – and let me tell you: it really works. The combination of the ingredients regenerates your body with great nutrition while it still tastes amazing.
I like mine with extra mint and parsley but that is totally up to you. Try this dish out, I am sure you will love it and if you have tried the original ‘Canja’ before you’ll be very pleased with how similar to chicken the shredded mushrooms taste.
Enjoy and let us know how it went by sharing your photos with the comidamor hastag.
- 300 g oyster mushrooms, shredded,
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 Lt water
- 120 g soup pasta like Italian Gluten-free Orzo (Pevide) or rice
- Olive oil, to taste
- 2 tbsp. Miso paste
- Handful of mint and or parsley, chopped
- - Shred the mushrooms thinly. Cut the carrots into small pieces and the chop the onion. Set aside.
- - In the meantime, put olive oil in a pan and when hot sauté de onions until translucent.
- - Add the carrots and let them cook for 3 minutes (do not let them get crispy).
- - Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes in medium heat.
- - Add the water and bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
- - Add the pasta and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- - Turn the heating off, remove a little of the soup broth to a bowl and add miso, stirring well until completely dissolved. Once dissolved, add this to the soup and serve immediately with some mint or parsley leafs.
- - Enjoy.