Tabbouleh (Arabic: تبولة tabūlah; also tabouleh or tab(b)ouli) is a Middle Eastern / Mediterranean salad, essentially made of extremely finely chopped parsley, mint, finely chopped tomatoes, bulgur, and onion, and an olive oil and lemon juice dressing.
This salad is usually served as part of mezze platter (an absolute must at any Mediterranean or Middle Eastern table) but to me it is just so much more than a side dish.
This salad is just so fresh, watery, lemony and tasty that I could easily eat it pretty much every day (No judgment please!) 😉
And the good thing is, it’s the kind of dish, that if you are at work and didn’t have time to prepare your lunch pack last night and if you are lucky enough to actually have a kitchen at work, you can easily go out, get all the fresh ingredients and in and in less than 10 minutes you have this super salad, charged with flavours and colours.
The base ingredients needed are the ones mentioned above plus some extra salt and some pepper. However, today I decided to go a little further with this recipe, and because I actually had time to make it in advance last night, I added some other ingredients that give the original recipe a little twist and make it a nutricionally richer dish.
This salad is:
Vitamin A, C and K rich,
and so so delicious.
It is perfect when served with some pitta bread, hummus or even some ultra delicious babaganoush.
Have a look and tell us how it went. I am certain it will please everyone.
- - 1/2 cup / 170 gr fine bulgur.
- - 4 tbsp. olive oil.
- - 1 cup / 230 ml boiling-hot water.
- - 2 cups / 400 gr finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (from generous 3 bunches)
- - 1 cup / 200 gr finely chopped fresh mint.
- - 2 medium (not very ripe) tomatoes, cut into very tiny cubes.
- - 1 large red onion, cut into very small cubes
- - 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice.
- - 1 small leek, finely sliced and roasted with some olive oil.
- - 2 tbsp. green olives.
- - 1 tsp. of salt.
- - 1 tsp of pepper.
- - Preheat oven at 200C / 390F
- - Thinly slice your leek and place it in a roasting tray with 1 tbsp of good olive oil. Place it in the oven and let it roast until crispy and fragrant for 10 - 15 minutes.
- - Stir together bulgur and 1 tablespoon oil in a heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over, then cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing on bulgur to remove any excess liquid.
- - Transfer bulgur to a bowl and toss with remaining ingredients, including 2 tablespoons oil, until combined well.
- - Top up with the previous roasted leek and some olives.
- - Adjust salt and pepper to your liking and enjoy!
- It also works perfectly with some chopped cucumbers or topped up with any other roast vegetable. Just be inventive and add as many veggies and herbs as you like. Have fun!