“I light a candle
In the garden of love
To blind the angels
Looking down from above
I want, I need
The fruit of your pine
It tastes so bitter sweet
Cause you’re better than wine“*
Figs are the winners of my best-shaped, best-taste, better-texture and better-colour fruit award. Besides the fact that they are delicious they make very attractive and irresistible dishes. I just can’t resist them – they are my absolute “dirty little secret”.
Biologically speaking a single fig is a syconium containing over 1,000 tiny fruits and there are hundreds of varieties of the common fig ranging in colour from purple-black to yellowish-green – Well, let me tell you: I LOVE THEM ALL!
So, here’s another crazy recipe made with figs and spirulina that even Cookie (my 4 year old feline) seems to like (Better than catnip he tells me!)
The combination of the fig with this incredibly good for you organism (spirulina – often referred to as blue-green algaeis) is just perfect. It is loaded with nutrients that can have powerful effects on your body and brain and it’s actually quite amazing how nutritious it is. A single tablespoon (7 grams) of dried spirulina powder contains 4 grams of protein (well it’s quite fascinating indeed as the same amount of steak contains only 1.75 grams of protein…Food for thought, right?!) !
A deliciously nutritious morning pudding powered with good ingredients such as fig, spirulina and chia seeds – amazing taste and irresistible colours.
Please see this delicious breakfast recipe and share your results with the #comidamor tag. I can’t wait to see the results…
- 4 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 cup/ 200ml of almond milk
- 1 tsp of maple syrup
- 4 tbsp of any dairy-free yogurt (I used almond one)
- 1 tsp of spirulina
- 1 or 2 season figs, sliced
- More figs or any other fresh fruits and cereals
- Prepare it the night before: place the chia seeds and maple syrup in a jar and then pour the milk in. Stir everything together before placing a lid on the jar. Keep refrigerated overnight (6 to 8 hours) - During this time the liquid will be absorbed and the pudding will form a jelly-like consistency.
- In the morning - mix the spirulina with the yogurt and pour the mixture on top of the pudding in the container.
- Add the sliced figs (as many as you can fit in your jar) and top it up with any other fruit or cereal of your choice.
- Just take the jar with you to work, gym, school or even eat it on your commute!
*"dirty little secret" by Bon Jovi