I am a very visual person (perhaps due to my “architectural” background) and what usually captures my attention everywhere I go are the colours, the chromatic contrasts, either when I am picking clothes from a shop, vegetables from the market or recipes from a cook-book.
So, the same thing applies to this mediterranean inspired recipe here. When I saw this recipe on one of my many cook-books, what truly attracted me were the colours of its pictures and then BANG: I had to give it a go!
For the ones who don’t have a close relationship with beetroot you should definitely consider this recipe as I know for sure that it will change the way you think about this veggie. This salad is a lovely and very healthy way to combine two powerful ingredients: beets and quinoa. Quinoa is full of complete protein and also a great source of iron. And beetroots, are low in fat, but full of vitamins and minerals and packed with powerful antioxidants. The luscious taste of beetroot with onions contrasts perfectly with the slight acidity of the grain.
This colourful dish makes a very attractive starter or even a main meal and you should definitely try it.
If you give it a go share your photos with #comidamor – I am sure they will look deliciously colourful.
- 1/2 cup / 115g of quinoa
- 300ml / 1.3 cups of water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Juice of two freshly squeezed lemons
- 2 medium raw beetroots, grated
- 1 handful of flat-leaf parsley and mint, chopped plus extra green salad leaves to serve
- 2 tsp of sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds, to sprinkle
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of ground black pepper
- Put the quinoa in a sifter and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Then, put into a pan with the water and bring to the boil. Cover and leave to cook slowly for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve, covered, for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, warm the olive oil in a large saucepan or a wok, adding the onions and stirring to coat with the oil. Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar until it bubbles and then remove the pan from the heat adding the quinoa, lemon juice, grated beetroot, parsley, mint and salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with some more green leaves (see note below) and pumpkin and/or sunflowerseeds and is ready to serve.
- Suggestion - serve with some red chard or spinach leafs.